Practice strategies and advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice strategies and advice

I'll preface for a bit then address my issues/questions.

I'm currently a second year mocker from a school that has been blessed with a faculty "coach" with zero mock trial experience. Our current team has no one with more than 2 years experience. In our previous years we had recent grads to coach us with mock trial experience. We are a not-for-credit school with approximately 15+ members.

Unfortunately because our coach has zero mock trial experience our twice a week practices have been a complete waste of time. Most of our suggestions go unaddressed and a lack of leadership from us students has led to this situation.

My questions for you guys are how exactly at this time of the year would you structure your practices or what advice would you give? For the most part of the year we've met individually between members helping each other out and we know the case well. We're currently scrimmaging at one of our practices a week but I'm just finding it hard to get every one to that "next level" where our cases-in-chief start coming together and our witnesses have character...

...I hope this didn't sound too negative and appreciate your thoughts in advance.

Re: Practice strategies and advice

Sounds like you need to ditch your coach.

Okay, not actually ditch your coach, but if the students know more than the coach at this point, students need to take control. I too, am from a program that did not have any sort of coach when I was a student there, and we had to create a student leadership structure. Specifically, two dual leadership structures: one to handle the organization of our program, which was elected, and one to handle the actual "mocking." The organization half got our hotel reservations, managed the budget, did travel arrangements, etc., etc. The "mocking" half became a committee of the captains of our various teams, and they made decisions regarding case strategy, etc., etc. Our Co-Presidents headed both halves, and they are/were elected.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if your coach can't help you, students need to step up and take control. I don't know what kind of person your coach is, but if possible, it might be best to sit down, and have a mature conversation with your coach about this problem. Explain to him/her that you guys want to succeed, but you think your coach needs to learn a bit more about mock trial. If you need to be more subtle about it, suggest that your coach go judge some local invitationals or regionals. That can be a great opportunity for a new coach to not only see how other teams perform, but also to network and talk with other coaches (who also frequently judge) and learn about they run their programs.

Don't know how helpful that is, but good luck!

Comment

I agree, this particular coach will not be able to help you out. Simply because someone is your campus adviser, does not mean that they are your coach. I would also maybe try reaching out to the attorney network near your campus. Maybe you will be able to find one who is willing to volunteer their time to help you guys out. Even if this just means judging a scrimmage or two at first. You have to start somewhere. Or maybe you can talk to some advisers for high school teams to see if they know any attorneys who would be willing to coach in the college sector. Just ideas, its a tough task to build a program. Good luck.

Comment

Attorney coaches are nice and I recommend you find one. However, if you want to win, see if their are any former mockers from successful programs around. Usually it's best to pair former mockers with practicing attorneys.

Faculty advisors such as Dr. Pohlmann or Guliuzza or Zeigler, who are neither attorneys nor former mockers, yet still amazing coaches, are hard to find.
        Coach, Sun Devil Mock Trial
        Back in the lab, with a pen and a pad....

Comment

I'm sorry this took so long to reply but I appreciate all of your advice. The situation has really worked out for the best and we're hoping for a very strong showing at regionals.

Thanks again!

Comment

Best of luck.

Comment

[quote author=Blue link=topic=3962.msg171034#msg171034 date=1232427164]
              I'm sorry this took so long to reply but I appreciate all of your advice. The situation has really worked out for the best and we're hoping for a very strong showing at regionals.

Thanks again!
              [/quote]

Glad to hear that things are working out!

Comment

Working...
              X