How did you get involved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get involved?

How did you first encounter the world of mock trial?
    Remember the name

Re: How did you get involved?

When I was 14 I was one of two freshmen in an "advanced speech" class at my high school. The class was speech for the first semester and all mock trial for the second. I was hooked from that moment forward.
    Coach, Sun Devil Mock Trial
    Back in the lab, with a pen and a pad....

Comment

Saw a sign in my high school the first week of my Freshman year, harassed the teacher-coach every day to let me be on the team (he didn't like taking freshmen), was hooked the second the casebook hit my hands.
      MLIMT

Comment

Someone came up to me at a bar and said, "Hey, do you like to party?"

EDIT: Actually I joined as a freshman in high school, but quit shortly into my sophomore year. I joined back up in college after seeing a flyer on the campus bus system for a mock trial team at Iowa. I thought I would give it a shot. The rest is a sad sad history of addiction.
        My rants and ramblings are my own and should not be attached to others.

Comment

In high school, during my freshman year, my friend's dad was helping coach our team. After hearing some of my friends chatting about it one day I tagged along to a practice.

Comment

I did a debate summer camp thing after eighth grade which got me hooked. But my high school didn't have a debate team -- all it had was this thing called mock trial. And the rest is roughly 17 years of glorious history. Incidentally, I think the far more interesting question is how I STAYED involved, given that there were probably at least 4-5 instances when I was completely convinced that I was done with mock trial forever.
            Mock Trial with J. Reinhold! Mock Trial! Mock Trial with J. Reinhold!

Comment

[quote author=The Gelf link=topic=4676.msg189527#msg189527 date=1281017811]
              I did a debate summer camp thing after eighth grade which got me hooked. But my high school didn't have a debate team -- all it had was this thing called mock trial. And the rest is roughly 17 years of glorious history. Incidentally, I think the far more interesting question is how I STAYED involved, given that there were probably at least 4-5 instances when I was completely convinced that I was done with mock trial forever.
              [/quote]

They had mock trial before the Titanic was built?

Comment

Joined my freshman year in high school after missing out on the debate season due to soccer. Have been hooked since.
                We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Comment

At the time, Iowa was one of the few states that had middle school mock trial and St. Pius was one of the few schools in Iowa that let sixth graders compete. Been with it ever since, though more limited since I have started actually working. To put that in perspective, I have been involved with mock trial for almost 60% of my life.

Comment

Teacher in high school said there would be free cookies if I watched a competition. I competed only to get those cookies. They were delicious!
                    "A law can be both economic folly and constitutional."
                    - Antonin Scalia

Comment

[quote author=NDmock link=topic=4676.msg189538#msg189538 date=1281037993]
                      At the time, Iowa was one of the few states that had middle school mock trial and St. Pius was one of the few schools in Iowa that let sixth graders compete. Been with it ever since, though more limited since I have started actually working. To put that in perspective, I have been involved with mock trial for almost 60% of my life.
                      [/quote]

You're a sad, sad man.

Comment

I joined on a whim as a freshmen in High School and never left. Mock Trial was a priority for college. I wanted to end up somewhere with a good team.
                        Remember the name

Comment

Did two mock trials in a high-school law class my senior year. Freshman year of college, went to the school's "involvement fair" to see all the organizations. Most of the clubs seemed utterly ridiculous/run by complete weirdos, but Mock Trial just sounded interesting and the person at the booth was one of the few normal looking people around, so I took a chance and signed up for auditions. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Comment

Did one mock trial and one mock supreme court argument at some youth-whatever-conference in the D.C. area senior year of high school and got some good feedback...then I got to college and forgot about mock for two years because I was too busy playing jazz piano. Last summer I hurt my elbows and couldn't play for a couple months, so I joined mock and loved it. I'm looking at all you guys who have been in this world since ninth grade and it makes me wish I had more than just one year left. Maybe someday down the road I'll do some coaching?
                            And Dr. Charney...you're a bit of a rare, exotic bug yourself, aren't you?

Columbia 2009-2011
                            Fordham Law School / Fordham--Lincoln Center coach with misplaced priorities 2011-present

Comment

7th grade mock trial saturday program hosted by the university of memphis, then high school, then rhodes, now coaching...oh mock trial.

Comment

Working...
                              X