AMTA fees by Paypal/Google Checkout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMTA fees by Paypal/Google Checkout?

It's getting to be that time again -- AMTA team registration dues paying time. Am I alone in thinking it's kind of inconvenient to have to send a check? Especially for teams without a coach (or without a coach willing to shell out $350 x 4 = $1400), it's difficult since many students don't have checks. (Or have checks scattered between school, parent's home, and internship location.) Credit cards are much easier, since everyone has them, and some teams even have access to a team or school credit card.

AMTA should consider letting teams pay their dues via PayPal or Google Checkout. It would make the process easier for teams and even for AMTA, since they won't have to deal with the possibility of bounced checks, etc.

The downside, of course, is the fees. Both PayPal and Google Checkout charge the same fees. At thirty cents a transaction plus 2.9% to PayPal, $339.55 of each team's dues would still go to AMTA. Our team might would be OK with paying $360 in dues (so AMTA would still get $350 after PayPal/GCheckout's fees) to avoid having to write a check.

Any other teams think this would be handy? Anyone on the AMTA board want to consider this? Any downsides I'm not thinking of? Any other ideas to make dues payin' time easier?

Re: AMTA fees by Paypal/Google Checkout?

Perhaps WePay.com? Here is their fee schedule.

Comment

I don't think AMTA should do this unless teams are prepared to absorb 100% of the cost. I don't think there is a single school out there that does not participate currently in AMTA but would if AMTA switched over to this form of registration payment.
      It's all about the U.

Comment

I think that our school pays AMTA directly and paypal wouldn't fly with them.

Comment

Agreed. I think mock trial teams struggle enough with budget constraints going up against significant traveling expenses. Mailing a check isn't that inconvenient. Not to mention, many business offices (or at least the one that I am familiar with dealing with) would prefer to just cut a check as opposed to setting up a PayPal or other such account that a student organization would be responsible for.
          Too much law, not enough order

Comment

[quote author=Not Offered For My Truth link=topic=4679.msg189748#msg189748 date=1281580100]
            Agreed. I think mock trial teams struggle enough with budget constraints going up against significant traveling expenses. Mailing a check isn't that inconvenient. Not to mention, many business offices (or at least the one that I am familiar with dealing with) would prefer to just cut a check as opposed to setting up a PayPal or other such account that a student organization would be responsible for.
            [/quote]

I would prefer credit card payment and would be willing to eat a cost up to 3% (fairly standard and more than paypal)
            Coach, Sun Devil Mock Trial
            Back in the lab, with a pen and a pad....

Comment

what about an electronic check?

Comment

Working...
              X