No announcement yet.

2018 AMTA Board Meeting Agenda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any comments or concerns regarding this year's case can be emailed to amta.civilcase@collegemocktrial.org. I will review all emails sent to that address and will make every effort to respond (when it is appropriate to do so) as soon as possible. But, like Alex, I have a "real" job too, so please keep that in mind.
    Mock Trial with J. Reinhold! Mock Trial! Mock Trial with J. Reinhold!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
      Has anyone seen what the new Judge's Powerpoint looks like?
      I have. It's much cleaner, with less information on each slide, and a more dynamic/attention grabbing color scheme. There's some concern that it might take more time to present since it's several slides longer, but that's what the fall testing period is for. I think it's going to be a major improvement based on the preview that we saw at the board meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Will181198 View Post

I have admittedly not read this whole conversation that has been going on here for a few days, but to your point about communication, all AMTA Board e-mail addresses are on our website publicly. You can e-mail me at AMTA.President@collegemocktrial.org at any time. If I cannot answer your question or concern, I will find the appropriate person to answer it for you.
        Originally posted by The Gelf View Post
        Any comments or concerns regarding this year's case can be emailed to amta.civilcase@collegemocktrial.org. I will review all emails sent to that address and will make every effort to respond (when it is appropriate to do so) as soon as possible. But, like Alex, I have a "real" job too, so please keep that in mind.
        So these two comments, along with the posting of Bernstein's email in the case packet, suggest to me that maybe the infrastructure that I want for answering the emails is already in place. It sounds from these comments, for instance, like there is at least one person on each committee who is willing to answer questions as Proposal 1 would suggest there needs to be. In that case, I think much of this is, as I suggested at the beginning, simply a matter of telegraphing to students and coaches that their feedback is welcome and reminding them of how to provide that feedback. Again, for the students who don't know that their feedback is wanted in the first place, having your email made available on the site doesn't help.

If there are, as your comments suggest, board members who are ready and willing to address concerns, then all that needs to be done from the standpoint of receiving feedback is to have a new item in the main menu of the site (or an item in the pulldown menu under "About") that leads people to a page that says that you welcome feedback/questions on any and all AMTA related maters and that tells them to whom they should be addressing various types of concerns (e.g. that tells them they should address case corrections to the case committee chair at amta.civilcase@collegemocktrial.org, rules questions to the rules committee chair and so on). Right now, it sounds like there are people who want to reach out and people who are willing to be reached out to, they just aren't being properly connected (and yes, I have talked to people for whom this is an issue). Its a simple change, but I think its an important one.

Originally posted by Will181198 View Post
        When our Agenda and minutes are released every year, we invite questions/comments to be submitted to the AMTA.Secretary e-mail account. This year, we received a number of e-mails and messages from people, which were distributed to the whole Board before the meeting for review (with the permission from the senders).
        This may have been true in the past, but it is not currently correct. Neither of the last two announcements of the agendas have included anything about reaching out to the secretary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadfly View Post
          This may have been true in the past, but it is not currently correct. Neither of the last two announcements of the agendas have included anything about reaching out to the secretary.
          I might be wrong but if I recall correctly at least as long as I've cared to read the minutes, the "email the secretary at xyz@amta.com" has been included in the announcements section and not on the minutes themselves?
          Last edited by Ali Thomas; August 14th, 2018, 10:01 AM. Reason: to clarify the timeline

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
            I might be wrong but if I recall correctly at least as long as I've cared to read the minutes, the "email the secretary at xyz@amta.com" has been included in the announcements section and not on the minutes themselves?
            Again, it used to (although, even then, the wording was "If you have questions about the agenda, email the secretary" which sounds like they only want questions about how the agenda works rather than concerns about the motions themselves). But as of the last few years the agenda announcement has had no suggestion that anyone should email anyone (see the screenshot of the announcement I included in my original post).
            Last edited by Gadfly; August 14th, 2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

The case announcement on the AMTA site expressly says "Please report any errors to the Civil Case Committee" with a hyperlink to the email address I posted.

Comment

The case announcement on the AMTA site expressly says "Please report any errors to the Civil Case Committee" with a hyperlink to the email address I posted.
                It does. Case announcement communication and case error communication is something I think we do really well. Its other areas I'm more concerned about.

Comment

I think it's worth acknowledging that this is at the very least a step in the right direction. It seems to me like the solicitations for comments are more prevalent than they have been in recent years, and this definitely shows that AMTA is aware of these concerns and some of its members are engaging on the issue

Comment

Originally posted by HeWasMonologuing View Post

I think it's worth acknowledging that this is at the very least a step in the right direction. It seems to me like the solicitations for comments are more prevalent than they have been in recent years, and this definitely shows that AMTA is aware of these concerns and some of its members are engaging on the issue
                    I think that particular one has been pretty standard every year, but I am old so my memory might be going. As a reminder, I will be recording an episode of The Mock Review tonight with bengarmoe and Adevans so get your questions in to them!

Comment

Working...
                    X