Board Meeting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Meeting?

I know the midyear conference call was a few days ago. Can anyone with knowledge let us know what happened? Did it take like 5 minutes to go through the three agenda items? Did the rules committie share any invention of fact thoughts going into regionals? Did the tournament futures committie report back on any community feedback? Did adevans motion get untabled? Are the midlands rules of criminal procedure gone forever?
    Last edited by Ali Thomas; December 12th, 2018, 09:30 AM.

What was the advenas motion?

Comment

I assume this is a typo and they are referring to me. I submitted a motion (through Mike Gelfand - thanks again, Mike). I was informed it was tabled, and I have heard nothing about it being untabled - frankly I don't expect it to be. I don't believe there has been anything public about what is/was discussed at the board meeting.

But, I can tell you that the motion I submitted was just looking to change some of the language surrounding competitors from other schools competing for another team. The issue I had noticed is best explained by the following example:

Student A goes to School A. As of the start of the year, School A has no Mock Trial team, and Student A doesn't want to try to start their own team. Student A goes and competes for School B for a year. In the following year, Student A still doesn't feel that there isn't enough interest to start their own team, so they plan on competing for School B again. After prepping for a few months with School B, Student A is informed that Student Z who also attends School A is attempting to start a team at School A. By the mere existence of this team, Student A is no longer allowed to finish their year with School B, and is forced to instead compete for School A.

The motion I submitted was in hoping to change this to allow Student A a choice: to either finish out their year at School B or to move back immediately to School A, with the understanding that the following year they would have to move to School A the next year either way. There are a variety of reasons why I feel that giving people this choice is important. There are invitationals in October, finding out that you can no longer be a part of a team that you have been prepping with for months can be quiet frustrating. I just think giving people the choice is what is most important, so long as it is only for a year.

Hope this clarified.

Comment

The board meeting took less than an hour. It largely consisted of reports from the chairs of the committees on the work that has been accomplished since the July board meeting. Many thanks were given to our TAC and Assignment committees for the workload they handled to assign a new record high number of teams to regional tournaments. An update on a new website was discussed and a brief, positive, update on NCT preparations was provided.
        My rants and ramblings are my own and should not be attached to others.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
            I know the midyear conference call was a few days ago. Can anyone with knowledge let us know what happened? Did it take like 5 minutes to go through the three agenda items? Did the rules committie share any invention of fact thoughts going into regionals? Did the tournament futures committie report back on any community feedback? Did adevans motion get untabled? Are the midlands rules of criminal procedure gone forever?
            Drew's motion was not untabled.
            Mock Trial with J. Reinhold! Mock Trial! Mock Trial with J. Reinhold!

Comment

Working...
            X