Open Bid Watch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Real Mock Prodigy View Post
    NYU B has withdrawn from Buffalo, leaving that regional at 19 teams. According to Rule 6.6(2)a, this means that the Buffalo regional should now have only 6 bids. this means that a new open bid has been created in Central Islip, bringing the total number of open bids to 22.
    As one of the Buffalo AMTA reps, I can confirm that -- barring any last-minute changes -- there will be six bids to ORCS out of the Buffalo regional.
    Mock Trial with J. Reinhold! Mock Trial! Mock Trial with J. Reinhold!

Comment

Richmond, Hamilton, and Decatur have 7 or 8 open bids each, while several others have none, or close to it. Looks like balancing power is going to be a real challenge this year.

Comment

Haverford declining their Open Bid is surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Haverford declining their Open Bid is surprising.
          Yea was that their only bid? What is up with that?

Comment

The open bid list keeps opening up. Grand Canyon, Penn B, and UNC B have withdrawn from ORCS, and Haverford, Army, Ursinus, and Truman State have declined bids. Gotta be nerve wracking for those teams at the bottom of the list.

Comment

Not really open bid watch (more earned bid watch), but moving indiana to cedar rapids and out of geneva was a really good move.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
                Not really open bid watch (more earned bid watch), but moving indiana to cedar rapids and out of geneva was a really good move.
                Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I haven't really seen anything about it.

Comment

Its unusual that 4 bids might get an open bid, right? Do y'all think there were too many open bids available or more teams were placing high and therefore more teams were under 4? My guess is that because there were more regionals this year (I think?) more programs were getting more bids out and since most were at 7, all those bids were becoming open. I think a way to change that for next year would be to increase the number of 8 bid ORCS.

Comment

Originally posted by MockingTheMidwest View Post

Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I haven't really seen anything about it.
                    The language in the change log says that they were moved in exchange for two other teams, making me speculate that it's probably for power balancing but idk. I'm not Johnathan Woodward

Comment

Originally posted by adamsel View Post
                      Its unusual that 4 bids might get an open bid, right? Do y'all think there were too many open bids available or more teams were placing high and therefore more teams were under 4? My guess is that because there were more regionals this year (I think?) more programs were getting more bids out and since most were at 7, all those bids were becoming open. I think a way to change that for next year would be to increase the number of 8 bid ORCS.
                      I think it's been many years since 4 win teams have gotten bids off the open bid list, since the total number of regionals teams has increased steadily for many years. There are an extra 24 bids up for grabs this year because of the extra ORCS. Plus, the good, deep programs keep getting better and deeper, so you can expect them to keep picking up bids that convert to open bids (in this year's case, an extra 22 open bids). So, it makes sense that they're dipping deeper down the list this year. I agree that they should've increased the number of 8-bid regionals to start out with. I think the rules already authorized them to do that (even the 22- team regionals could have had 8 bids this year, according to my math and reading of the rules); they just elected not to.

Comment

The language in the change log says that they were moved in exchange for two other teams, making me speculate that it's probably for power balancing but idk. I'm not Johnathan Woodward
                        I also believe that it was for power balancing.​​​ The rules empower AMTA to move ORCS teams around for that purpose, and they've done that in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by geneva View Post

I think it's been many years since 4 win teams have gotten bids off the open bid list, since the total number of regionals teams has increased steadily for many years. There are an extra 24 bids up for grabs this year because of the extra ORCS. Plus, the good, deep programs keep getting better and deeper, so you can expect them to keep picking up bids that convert to open bids (in this year's case, an extra 22 open bids). So, it makes sense that they're dipping deeper down the list this year. I agree that they should've increased the number of 8-bid regionals to start out with. I think the rules already authorized them to do that (even the 22- team regionals could have had 8 bids this year, according to my math and reading of the rules); they just elected not to.
                          The last time was in 2013 to......The University of Pittsburgh. They might repeat here...

Comment

It was for power balancing.
                            I post in my personal capacity, not on behalf of AMTA.

Comment

Originally posted by geneva View Post

In a perfect world I'd have given out more 8th bids, but almost none of those 23 team sites had room left at the assigned orcs, so it would have been whole bunch of 7 bids to orcs A and the 8th bid goes to orcs B. We had to split bids in a couple of places but to do it at a large number of tournaments just turns into a logistical nightmare about who goes where and trying to move people around in exchange for open bids after the 3rd weekend.
                              I post in my personal capacity, not on behalf of AMTA.

Comment

Working...
                              X