Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctions on AMTA Website

Can we not talk about Penn State and discuss this team ban pls
    Last edited by NoRedirectNecessary; February 27th, 2019, 11:12 AM.

We did have a thread on this. It just got derailed by that PSU guy who had like 7 years of pent up anger.

Comment

Originally posted by geneva View Post
      We did have a thread on this. It just got derailed by that PSU guy who had like 7 years of pent up anger.
      To be fair, by the end of that thread, the AMTA loyalists (at least Nur Ranch) had finally agreed that the actual merits of the sanctions were never discussed during the email chain among the board, just whether banning the team was too harsh of a penalty. Which was my point all along (AMTA ignored the evidence submitted by the students).

On this, AMTA mentioned being transparent in the CRC memo released today, I think this sanction would be a good opportunity to show some transparency.
      Last edited by Mocktrocity; February 27th, 2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Mocktrocity pls stop

Comment

From the earned bid list, it looks like this ended up being kind of a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Mock Prodigy View Post
            Mocktrocity pls stop

Comment

I think that unless someone from the sanctioned team wants to step forward and say that it was them, we won't ever know what team got sanctioned. I think it isn't really helpful to speculate as to who it could have been; that just leads to people being unfairly labeled as cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Mock Prodigy View Post
                I think that unless someone from the sanctioned team wants to step forward and say that it was them, we won't ever know what team got sanctioned. I think it isn't really helpful to speculate as to who it could have been; that just leads to people being unfairly labeled as cheaters.
                The identity of the team is moot at this point, agreed. But the reason for the sanction is still relevant I think. The rules cited to do not make it clear exactly what was done to warrant the sanction.
                Last edited by Mocktrocity; February 27th, 2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

AMTA loyalists? Man. When are we throwing the tea into the harbor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mocktrocity View Post

The identity of the team is moot at this point, agreed. But the reason for the sanction is still relevant I think. The rules cited to do not make it clear exactly what was done to warrant the sanction.
                    I agree it would be interesting to know what happened, but unless someone from the relevant school wants to come forward and tell us, all we would be doing is guessing what someone could have done to fit these rules, and I don't really know how that helps us.

Comment

Originally posted by EgregiousInvention View Post
                      AMTA loyalists? Man. When are we throwing the tea into the harbor?
                      It's on the schedule for the NCT.

Comment

Let's heed not the rabble that screams revolution. This thread does not speak for me, and that poster's playing a dangerous game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mocktrocity View Post

It's on the schedule for the NCT.
                          Sorry, wrong city and century....

Comment

Just trying to spark a respectful debate about whether the teams that violate AMTA rules should be made public to the community.

My position:
                            It would seem to me that the current policy of complete anonymity is one that serves the few and not the many. Why, I ask, are the interests of the offending parties placed above the interests of the community as a whole? Why does the current policy seem to weigh the desire of 1 team, who has knowingly broken the agreed-upon rules, to have privacy in this respect, over the aggregate desire of the other 700+ to know what is happening?
                            I would like to clarify, however, that I don't believe all violations should be publicized. I would draw the line here at whether or not the sanctioned violation was one that impacted or weighed upon the competitive balance of rounds - regular season or invitational. Because, if a team knowingly shifts the competitive balance within rounds, it would be in another team's interest to know this when deciding whether they want to spend their university's money on going to tournaments with these teams or, worse yet, to tournaments these teams host. Regarding violations unrelated to competitive balance, I am unsure. Largely because I can't readily identify a scenario in which a team would make decisions based on this knowledge, making the obvious cons of public deriding not so worth-while.

I am interested to learn more about what others in the community think about this and the reasoning behind those opinions.

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by NoRedirectNecessary View Post
                              Just trying to spark a respectful debate about whether the teams that violate AMTA rules should be made public to the community.

My position:
                              It would seem to me that the current policy of complete anonymity is one that serves the few and not the many. Why, I ask, are the interests of the offending parties placed above the interests of the community as a whole? Why does the current policy seem to weigh the desire of 1 team, who has knowingly broken the agreed-upon rules, to have privacy in this respect, over the aggregate desire of the other 700+ to know what is happening?
                              I would like to clarify, however, that I don't believe all violations should be publicized. I would draw the line here at whether or not the sanctioned violation was one that impacted or weighed upon the competitive balance of rounds - regular season or invitational. Because, if a team knowingly shifts the competitive balance within rounds, it would be in another team's interest to know this when deciding whether they want to spend their university's money on going to tournaments with these teams or, worse yet, to tournaments these teams host. Regarding violations unrelated to competitive balance, I am unsure. Largely because I can't readily identify a scenario in which a team would make decisions based on this knowledge, making the obvious cons of public deriding not so worth-while.

I am interested to learn more about what others in the community think about this and the reasoning behind those opinions.

thank you
                              And what is this interest you claim to profess to know their identity? Does knowing their identity help you, in any way, not violate the rule in the future?

Comment

Working...
                              X