New Format for NCT Tournament?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adevans View Post
    The Real Mock Prodigy: To go against my own point though, with UC Irvine being so close to Yale last year, and UVA always being strong. It would have been fun to do a top 4 and have them do Miami vs. Irvine and UVA vs. Yale then do a final round based on the results of those two. -- You would have side bais issues but I don't contend it would be exciting to watch!
    To add to this point, our current system institutes side bias into the final round. But that's just the fundamental nature of the activity and in some ways, having a semi final and then a final round and making the two top teams go on both sides may actually solve some side bias issues because it tests how strong that team is against top competition on both sides, not just on the one that they would end up going in the final round

Comment

Adevans sounds like we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by HeWasMonologuing View Post

To add to this point, our current system institutes side bias into the final round. But that's just the fundamental nature of the activity and in some ways, having a semi final and then a final round and making the two top teams go on both sides may actually solve some side bias issues because it tests how strong that team is against top competition on both sides, not just on the one that they would end up going in the final round
        That assumes that the semi final to final transition would include a side swap (i.e. that you would play P in the final if you played D in the semi and vice versa). But that's not necessarily true. If the case is biased there is a decent chance that both P teams win their semis or both D teams win their semis. Then only one team would be able to side swap for the final.
        Last edited by The_Quibbler; March 5th, 2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Quibbler View Post

That assumes that the semi final to final transition would include a side swap (i.e. that you would play P in the final if you played D in the semi and vice versa). But that's not necessarily true. If the case is biased there is a decent chance that both P teams with their semis or both D teams with their semis. Then only one team would be able to side swap for the final.
          Fair point. You'd likely have to flip a coin again for the final to determine sides, and then that would likely give an advantage to the team that ran the same side that they ran in the semi

Comment

Working...
          X