Staying Involved in AMTA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Involved in AMTA

I had my last round of mock trial today, which is exciting and also sad. I know there are a lot of former mockers on here so I'm wondering what your life after mock has looked like and your paths for staying involved in the community?

Just speaking for myself, I coach. There's tons of mock trial teams -- AMTA gets bigger every year -- and I don't think there's a single team that wouldn't love to have a former mocker help out at least a little bit, even if it just means watching parts or helping judge at their tournament. I don't know where you're from or what your plans are post graduation, but if you shoot me a pm I'd love to chat a bit more in depth about this, and maybe point you in the direction of some programs I know of that may be looking for coaching help.

Comment

You should judge some tournaments, if you think you'd like to help coach a program, either immediately or some time in the future. Sitting in a judges orientation and hearing how their judging viewpoint is shaped, and watching a trial cold without much knowledge of a fact pattern, can be excellent for deepening your understanding of how to advocate, in a way you never really feel when you're competing because you're too close to the facts.

Otherwise, get on AMTA's alumni list serve so you can get updates from them.

Comment

Originally posted by geneva View Post
        You should judge some tournaments, if you think you'd like to help coach a program, either immediately or some time in the future. Sitting in a judges orientation and hearing how their judging viewpoint is shaped, and watching a trial cold without much knowledge of a fact pattern, can be excellent for deepening your understanding of how to advocate, in a way you never really feel when you're competing because you're too close to the facts.

Otherwise, get on AMTA's alumni list serve so you can get updates from them.
        What do you mean by ‘home field advantage’? Both teams are from the same city.

Comment

Originally posted by brass_monkey View Post

What do you mean by ‘home field advantage’? Both teams are from the same city.
          Wrong thread

Comment

To respond to OP: definitely begin judging at tournaments if there are any nearby, and slowly but surely work your way back into coaching. Even if you can't find a college mock team around you, I am sure there are plenty of HS mock teams desperate for help.

Comment

Ali Thomas kinda off topic but congrats on finishing your career. I think we are in the same class. Always looked forward to seeing your contributions to perjury threads . Hope you find a way to stay involved.

Comment

Working...
              X