ORCS Results Week 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORCS Results Week 2

Space for general discussion about this week's ORCS results.

Michigan looks like the highest TPR team to miss nationals this season. It looks like they had an insane schedule though. Round 4 vs. Miami looks like it must have been a fantastic round.

Comment

Now that Patrick Henry joined the open bid list, one 6 bid team is officially out which sort of sucks having your bid not be in your control. I'm also surprised with the number of B teams making it. In addition to the 7 schools with two teams earning bids, Stanford and Penn got their bids from their B team. Which makes 9/30 of the nationals teams so far B teams.

Comment

Shoutout to Rochester for coming back swinging!

Comment

TAMU is a big surprise for me: they are not ranked very highly, and I hadn't heard of them making noise in invitationals. Anyone know more about them than I do care to share insight?

Comment

Originally posted by happygolucky View Post
            TAMU is a big surprise for me: they are not ranked very highly, and I hadn't heard of them making noise in invitationals. Anyone know more about them than I do care to share insight?

Yeah, they had an especially easy draw other than Rhodes A, which was a very strange split having talked to people in the Memphis tab room.

Comment

Decatur had TWO teams with 6 wins but no bid. That's some spooky shit right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanction Queen View Post
                Decatur had TWO teams with 6 wins but no bid. That's some spooky shit right there.
                I can't imagine AMTA keeping this system for another year. Either expand NCT to 54/56 teams, or go back to 8 ORCS.

Comment

Just wanted to say, claiming A&M had an easy schedule "except this round against Rhodes A which they split" is a little silly. They went 7-1 and took the only ballot off Rhodes A, what more should they have done? Anyone who faces Rhodes A has a tough schedule...

Comment

I saw TAMU A a few times earlier in the year and they were not even close to an ORCS level team. Kudos to them as a young program with no coaching, turning into a 7-1 ORCS team is a hell of an accomplishment.

Comment

Only one 5-3 team made it out of ORCS. And it’s UVA A. Wow.

Comment

AMTA NEEDS to fix this format/go to a three juror panel for ORCS. The +29 -2 splits need to go.

Comment

Kudos to Georgetown A for hitting both UVA teams at Richmond AND winning the tournament. Hell of a feat for any team.

Comment

Chestnut Hills results wow! No Harvard/Brown!

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate2020 View Post
                              AMTA NEEDS to fix this format/go to a three juror panel for ORCS. The +29 -2 splits need to go.
                              Losing sucks, but mock trial is an inherently subjective activity. Maybe those rounds featured aggressive attorneys that one judge thought went over the top, or maybe they featured fighty witnesses that looked bias, or any combination of factors. “Traditional” power houses missing out on advancing shouldn’t be held against Amta. Besides, hosts already have trouble recruiting enough judges for 2-judge panel tournaments.

Side mismatches at tournaments I think need to be addressed. There needs to be a way to correct for several high TPR teams being on the same side other than the 3rd round snake ordering. There also needs to be better a way to prevent side imbalances. The double suit I think is a good step towards that goal, but ORCS results tend to indicate a strong defense bias even with that addition.

Comment

Working...
                              X