Criminal Case Speculation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Case Speculation Thread

So AMTA is starting their annual case teasers on their social media. Yesterday they announced that the Defendant is the Parent of the dead victim, and today they announced that it won't even be a kidnapping and murder case like they had previously announced. https://www.instagram.com/p/B01XWmaJ3La/

Now that we know the charges won't be kidnapping and felony murder, what are you guys thinking this year's case will be? Maybe Manslaughter? I honestly don't know, but I'm loving this teasing!

Excuse the reaching but here is my early prediction for how the case plays out based on the limited information that has been leaked (let's see how long this holds possible...):

We know: 1. Jordan Ryder is the parent of Parker Paige (but different last names). 2. Jordan Ryder had limited visitation privileges with Parker (most likely Jordan and Parker's other parent are divorced). 3. Jordan Ryder was charged with "felony murder" - so likely Jordan Ryder was not the one who killed Parker but rather he/she was with someone during the commission of an act that resulted in the murder of Parker. 4. The case is State v. Ryder.

Based on this, I predict that:

Jordan Ryder and Parker Paigeís other parent got divorced. Jordan Ryder gets limited custody of Parker Paige. Additionally, Jordan Ryder got remarried and the new spouse took the last name. The new spouse is the one that murdered Parker Paige during visitation and this is the Ryder that State v Ryder refers to. If Jordan Ryder was simply exercising his/her right to visitation when his/her spouse killed Parker, it would make sense why there would be no kidnapping charge and why the felony murder rule wouldn't apply.

Can't wait for this to all be debunked today but let's see...

Comment

One completely unreasonable but exciting prediction me and a few of my friends made is as follows:

Jordan Ryder and the other parent of Parker Paige got divorced. Jordan Ryder is suspected of killing Parker Paige but gets off with minimal/ no charges despite public consensus that Jordan is guilty. Someone related to Jordan Ryder, their new spouse, sibling, cousin, etc still believes Jordan is guilty and that the justice system has failed to catch a deranged child killer. One night, the other Ryder sees Jordan, and fearing for their own safety, kills or assaults Jordan. That way, evidence of Jordan's prior legal proceedings becomes admissible, as well as some of the news surrounding Jordan's guilt.

Comment

tbh i'd be so disappointed if it wasn't a kidnapping child murder. For almost 4 months we've been talking about it as a kidnap child murder and to switch that to a revenge spouse killing, while exciting, seems like a downgrade.

Comment

Looks like child murder is back after all.

One of my teammates pointed this out, but so far this sounds very similar to a real life murder trial from a couple years ago, https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...513-story.html

If it continues to follow this case, then Ryder's suspected motive would be to get out of child support. Let's see if the similarities continue. It wouldn't be the first time AMTA has taken inspiration from real life (Davis v. Happyland for example, was based off a real case.)

Comment

Originally posted by GoofyGooberMock View Post
            Excuse the reaching but here is my early prediction for how the case plays out based on the limited information that has been leaked (let's see how long this holds possible...):

3. Jordan Ryder was charged with "felony murder" - so likely Jordan Ryder was not the one who killed Parker but rather he/she was with someone during the commission of an act that resulted in the murder of Parker.
            This isn't entirely accurate. Felony Murder just means "caused the death of another while committing a felony." There are nuances and variations based on jurisdiction, but the fact that Ryder was charged with FMR does not mean that Ryder is not alleged to have directly caused the death. It means that the death wasn't necessarily Ryder's purposeful objective. For example, if Ryder kidnapped the child, and the child died in a car wreck with Ryder driving, and kidnapping under those circumstances was a felony, then the FMR could apply to the child's death.

May I please the court?

Comment

On this day last year is when the case dropped, and the last post before the case itself was the witness list so... maybe today?

Comment

They haven't posted TPR for 2019-2020 let alone updated the 2019-2020 team numbers for programs that have registered. Maybe a lot is happening behind the curtains but things seem slower to start than previous years IMO

Comment

We're also still waiting on the "comprehensive guiding document in advance of the 2020 season" for invention of fact to be made public.

Comment

To be fair, STC I think AMTA considers the start of the season to be before Regionals, not before the case release.

Comment

Originally posted by TrialWithoutATheme View Post
                      To be fair, STC I think AMTA considers the start of the season to be before Regionals, not before the case release.
                      I think thatís absolutely right, but my hope is that they donít wait until the first day of regionals (as they did this past season for the first CRC guidance memo) to release clarifications/changes to a rule as case-defining as invention of fact. Maybe it doesnít have to come out before or with the case, but hopefully at least by the end of September when invitationals begin. Iíd hate to be the team that crafts an out of the box theory through invitational season (while staying just inside the previously defined boundaries for invention), only to realize days or hours before Regionals that AMTA intends to significantly tighten the limits of invention and a theory with so many hours invested now runs a risk of getting sanctioned.

Comment

Working...
                      X