Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Case, new thread

What do we think of State v. Ryder?!?!?

Dylan Hendricks is not guilty. A free man.

Comment

My initial impression is that I like it a lot. Seems like a lot of different avenues to pursue. I will be interested to see how the case balancing pans out. It's always hard to balance cases, and this one looks like it could end up being pretty balanced to me. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Comment

One other thing I'll add, just because it bothers me every year, and especially when there is a criminal case: I don't understand people who complain that the facts are tough for the defense. It's a criminal case, which means that the prosecution's burden is beyond a reasonable doubt. That's an insanely high burden, and the only way to possibly make the case fair is to have a fact pattern that is very slanted towards the prosecution. And AMTA cases almost always end up having a defense bias anyway despite the supposedly "unfair" fact patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Mock Prodigy View Post
          One other thing I'll add, just because it bothers me every year, and especially when there is a criminal case: I don't understand people who complain that the facts are tough for the defense. It's a criminal case, which means that the prosecution's burden is beyond a reasonable doubt. That's an insanely high burden, and the only way to possibly make the case fair is to have a fact pattern that is very slanted towards the prosecution. And AMTA cases almost always end up having a defense bias anyway despite the supposedly "unfair" fact patterns.
          AMEN.

Defense teams get the ultimate perk in having Ryder unrestricted, that alone counters any fact advantage Prosecution has. If this case ends up being too P sided I'll eat my own shoe.

Comment

I think itís one thing to say the facts are more P heavy but the defense call order is going to be so challenging. Defense will pretty much need to have 6 witnesses ready no matter what because if P doesnít choose murder then you canít call Lopez and that leaves 4 swings and Ryder. And since P has first pick, you canít even guarantee the swing that you want. And it also makes Ryder almost a must call in that case or else youíre doing 3 swings.

Comment

Yeah I don't like that p can force the defense to call Ryder. Still, I will be quite surprised if the case ends up being p biased.

Comment

So many little cute interactions with Parker from different witnesses, teams with good criers are gonna THRIVE.

Comment

As someone without access to the case yet, can someone let me know about witness calls and the two charges thing? Like, I know there are two charges, so do witness calls change depending on which charge is pursued? Does evidence change? How many swing witnesses are there (Sounds like there are at least 2)? It's getting agonizing hearing about this case without being able to read it, so can someone help a fellow mocker out?

Comment

Mocker999 There is a murder charge and an involuntary manslaughter charge. If you choose murder P and D both have to call an expert. If you choose involuntary manslaughter than neither P or D can call the experts. Other than those P has 3 side constrained witnesses and D only has the defendant. There are 4 swings. No evidence changed besides the expert reports being there/not being there. Call order is P-D-P-D (and P-D again for manslaughter).

Comment

I'm curious what people are thinking the preferred charge will be for most teams.

I'm thinking Murder currently, P Teams are gonna want to be able to call their great expert witnesses.

Comment

adamsel Thanks dude, I was really curious about that. It sounds like D has a wide amount of variation in calls, which sounds awful when trying to figure out roles. Tbh, I dunno how varied calls and stuff will actually be. MTS v Kosack had a lot of swings, but the theories and calls for D generally were the same (from personal experience). I wonder if D theory changes all that much based on the charge, or if teams can get away with using one specific theory.

Comment

Working...
                        X