X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Board Meeting Agenda

Is posted: http://www.collegemocktrial.org/abou...tingAgenda.pdf

Originally posted by harvester_7 View Post
    Some motions that will probably be interesting/pertinent most teams (in case you don't want to read through the entire 66 page document yourself):
    EC-03 (Late registration ends January 15)
    EC-07 (Team Conduct after Tournaments)
    BUD-01, BUD-03 (Fee modification/increase)
    RSC-07 (A&B Teams)
    RSC-08, RSC-09, RSC-13 (Invention)

All these are recommended for adoption by their respective committees.

There were also a few gems that have been tabled:
    CASE-01 (Affidavit Language)
    JC-03 (Three judge panels)
    RSC-10 (Requesting Rebuttal)

ED: Note that I based my opinions at least in part on the rationale provided, which may or may not be entirely accurate (though their inclusion is appreciated)
    Last edited by Ellipsis; June 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipsis View Post
      Some motions that will probably be interesting/pertinent most teams (in case you don't want to read through the entire 66 page document yourself):
      EC-03 (Late registration ends January 15)
      EC-07 (Team Conduct after Tournaments)
      BUD-01, BUD-03 (Fee modification/increase)
      RSC-07 (A&B Teams)
      RSC-08, RSC-09, RSC-13 (Invention)

All these are recommended for adoption by their respective committees.

There were also a few gems that have been tabled:
      CASE-01 (Affidavit Language)
      JC-03 (Three judge panels)
      RSC-10 (Requesting Rebuttal)

ED: Note that I based my opinions at least in part on the rationale provided, which may or may not be entirely accurate (though their inclusion is appreciated)
      I agree. These seem to be the important ones. It may not be practice to be on the agenda, and if so ignore this question, but why isn't there something in the agenda about a case adoption for next year? To my understanding they still haven't picked one for next year, and I know all of AMTA is waiting to hear what we will be trying.
      Nathan Johnston.

Comment

I can say with certainty that they have picked the case.

On topic, I enjoy specifically the fact invention resolution investigation... thing, that AMTA is proposing. It seems worthwhile.

Comment

Are the A&B squad submission of rosters a response to UVA?
          The underage drinking resolution/general misconduct made me laugh. Kids at the NCT ruined it for the rest of us!

I'm most interested in the pairings resolutions. Those could change the game.
          Josh Peterson
          Hamline University Alum

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
            Are the A&B squad submission of rosters a response to UVA?
            In a word, yes.

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
            The underage drinking resolution/general misconduct made me laugh. Kids at the NCT ruined it for the rest of us!
            Ruined getting arrested?

Comment

I imagine "ruined because they got arrested," or rather, "doing things that eventually lead to them getting arrested."

Comment

So they have picked a case? Any ideas/hints/insight at all into what crime we will be trying next year?

I like the potential addition of the "I met with the attorney" paragraph to help curb invention. I also really like potential 1st round pairing for ORCS. I have always felt like we needed seeding going into that tournament.
                Nathan Johnston.

Comment

I think it's ironic that we have this:

EC-07
                  Motion by Woodward, J. to amend the final bullet-point of Rule 1.4 as follows (new
                  language in bold):
                  illegal conduct of any sort, including underage drinking, either during a
                  tournament (between the beginning of registration and the conclusion of the awards
                  ceremony), or in any other circumstance where the conduct is likely to be attributed to or
                  connected with AMTA and/or the tournament host.
                  And this:

BUD-07
                  Motion by Eslick, M. (as amended by committee) that the AMTA representative travel
                  policies be changed as follows:
                  AMTA representatives at regional, ORCS, and championship tournaments may be reimbursed
                  for alcoholic beverages. This rule is not intended to supersede any portion of the Code of
                  Conduct or the per diem.
                  And yet, no proposed rule about AMTA representatives bringing disgrace to AMTA and tournament hosts through their conduct after tournaments!
                  Check "yes" if you're not a felon.

Comment

And yet, no proposed rule about AMTA representatives bringing disgrace to AMTA and tournament hosts through their conduct after tournaments!
                    Might have something to do with how infrequently that happens...
                    "Calm down, Pippy."

Comment

It also says "...may be reimbursed for alcoholic beverages." I don't think the board expects us to subsidize a fat bar tab, but if a rep wants a beer with dinner why shouldn't that be covered? Separate checks are a hassle.

Comment

New to the forum, but I think it is a little odd that their is an emphasis on student conduct, but not an emphasis on member/amta rep conduct. That said, there are a number of weird issues up on the table, like no "pumping up" before rounds and the extension of time when students can't talk to family, friends and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Yup View Post
                          New to the forum, but I think it is a little odd that their is an emphasis on student conduct, but not an emphasis on member/amta rep conduct. That said, there are a number of weird issues up on the table, like no "pumping up" before rounds and the extension of time when students can't talk to family, friends and coaches.
                          The no-contact rule seems like it would create a huge hassle. Many times in my experience observers couldn't make it to the courtroom until well after captain's, and they often needed help (ie contact) finding the building and/or room.

A "no pumping up" rule would be incredibly lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Nur Rauch View Post
                            A "no pumping up" rule would be incredibly lame.
                            Yes. Thankfully the "Bill Cable Rule" was tabled.

Comment

If AMTA Reps have enough money in their meal budgets to purchase alcohol, that seems to be an indication that the food reimbursement is too high. Eating and drinking for nourishment are necessities - consuming alcoholic beverages is not. If an AMTA Rep chooses to drink alcoholic beverages at a meal, that expense would be best covered by the individual.

AMTA Reps make a very generous donation of their time to provide a service to competing teams, and for that I am grateful. Such a generous donation should never be a difficulty, and all realistic comforts are ideal, but an allowance of $50 / day for food seems a bit excessive to me. Perhaps a bowl and a box of Ramen will do? I'm joking of course, but AMTA can use all the money it can get, hence the motion to raise registration fees - an excellent idea. However, cutting the extra fat should probably come first.
                              Ethan Treacy
                              University of Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X