Corvallis Bid Allocation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvallis Bid Allocation

I see that the Corvallis regional feeds into several different ORCS. How is it determined which teams goes to which ORCS?
    Ray Barr (the Amazing)
    "Bow ties are cool."

I have no inside information, but it should be interesting. A couple of hunches:

1) When teams register, they are asked to declare any scheduling conflicts. AMTA is not bound to honor those requests, but in my experience, they try pretty hard. I assume that if a program said "we can't travel on..." then AMTA would try to assign their Corvallis bid to a non-conflicting ORCS.

2) If a team earns a bid and already has another squad assigned to an ORCS, I suspect that would be a reason to send their Corvallis bid to the same ORCS. Cal & Stanford are both in that position. I know nothing about how they are doing at the PNWRT, of course, and offer this purely as a hypothetical.

Either way, what do I know? I'm retired from coaching, and left to sniff around Perjuries to see how my old team is doing today!

Good luck to all,

KfN
    "Better to make a life than a living."
    -William Eustis Russell

Comment

Originally posted by KingsfieldNot View Post
      I have no inside information, but it should be interesting. A couple of hunches:

1) When teams register, they are asked to declare any scheduling conflicts. AMTA is not bound to honor those requests, but in my experience, they try pretty hard. I assume that if a program said "we can't travel on..." then AMTA would try to assign their Corvallis bid to a non-conflicting ORCS.

2) If a team earns a bid and already has another squad assigned to an ORCS, I suspect that would be a reason to send their Corvallis bid to the same ORCS. Cal & Stanford are both in that position. I know nothing about how they are doing at the PNWRT, of course, and offer this purely as a hypothetical.

Either way, what do I know? I'm retired from coaching, and left to sniff around Perjuries to see how my old team is doing today!

Good luck to all,

KfN
      Looks Like Cal and Stanford have to go to Missouri and Tennessee respectively

Comment

Thus confirming my earlier "I have no inside information" comment!
        -William Eustis Russell

Comment

At the moment, though, it looks like Cal is sending both its squads to Memphis, while Stanford is split between St Louis & Newport Beach. But the list seems to be changing as we speak. I noticed Portland has been moved from Newport to DC. Clearly the folks at AMTA are hard at work, as usual!
          -William Eustis Russell

Comment

I was at the tournament and can shed some light on the procedure.

Prior to and during the tournament, each program was allowed to submit their preference for OCRS location to the AMTA reps. As it turned out, each advancing school except Oregon did so, and nobody requested Newport. So, Oregon got placed in Newport automatically. After the top finishers were announced at ceremonies, the captains/coaches for those schools went to the front of the room and took part in a random drawing to decide everything. Gonzaga's name got picked first at random, and they chose Memphis. Because they advanced two teams, both of their teams were assigned there. Washington was chosen next, and they selected St. Louis. It went on from there: Cal also took St. Louis, while Stanford picked Memphis and Portland ended up at Newport.

Teams were also told they could contact AMTA to request a change in ORCS location. I suspect that is what Portland ended up doing, since they are now assigned to D.C. Cal, which earned one bid to both Newport and St. Louis, elected to have both teams sent to St. Louis instead of Newport.

Comment

Working...
            X