Pre-Nationals Rankings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Nationals Rankings

Nice straw man. Just as you attack this data by claiming that it fails to do something it isn't trying to do, you also try to make a request that you do the work to actually compile invitational data instead of ripping other people's work without doing any yourself seem like an insistence that you do something else entirely. If you think John Clayton is cherry picking data from two games, obviously you wouldn't start your own league to get better data. Instead, you could use the multitude of readily available data to make your own, more comprehensive argument. Being a troll to people who actually compile data for others to consider is much easier, though. Keep up the hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Li'l Sebastian View Post
      Nice straw man. Just as you attack this data by claiming that it fails to do something it isn't trying to do, you also try to make a request that you do the work to actually compile invitational data instead of ripping other people's work without doing any yourself seem like an insistence that you do something else entirely. If you think John Clayton is cherry picking data from two games, obviously you wouldn't start your own league to get better data. Instead, you could use the multitude of readily available data to make your own, more comprehensive argument. Being a troll to people who actually compile data for others to consider is much easier, though. Keep up the hard work.
      You haven't been reading this thread if you think I'm attacking anyone over data. I'm well aware of how difficult and inconsistent it would be to track everyone's season over the course of 7 months of competing. That doesn't change the fact that regionals and ORCS do not constitue almost anyone's season. It doesn't get much simpler than this: http://i.imgur.com/7UU2spA.png.

Comment

Originally posted by Invention of Fact View Post
        You're right, and this list is just here to show how teams have done this year and rank them based on production. This is a regular season summary.
        I for one find this summary interesting. It's not like over the years other people's summaries have been totally accurate. You can do all the ballot analyzing you want but there are so many factors that go into any given round that it's extremely difficult to tell who is going to win, especially at the NCT when EVERYBODY is good. It's one thing to be able to accurately predict that "University of Attends-NCT-every-year" will beat "Has-never-had-a-team-before College," but it's another to try to predict something at the NCT itself. I find this summary interesting and no less useful than other "rankings" that have been done throughout the years.

And also, way to pick on someone for trying to contribute to the mock community. There's no point to doing that.

Comment

I think calling this "Rankings" is a bit of a controversial way to frame it, which is why everyone is so hilariously mad, but that aside, these are just facts, which are honestly more interesting than the opinions of whatever Prodigal feels compelled to broadcast them. Of course, this is a reflection of how teams do in their region (power protection notwithstanding), not how they do at Nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Li'l Sebastian View Post
            Everyone take a breath and calm down. No one is calling these rankings definitive. Take them at face value. This is just and ordered list of records from two tournaments. There is something to be taken from it, but there's also information (both qualitative and quantitative) that is "missing"- insofar as it isn't included. And that's ok.
            This. Thanks for putting this together, interesting just to look at!

Comment

Originally posted by Invention of Fact View Post
              This is a regular season summary.
              Originally posted by Nur Rauch View Post
              Well, no, it isn't. It's a two-tournament-long summary.
              I ALSO WANT MAKE YELLING SEMANTICS. AMTA has not officially designated a “regular season.” Instead, AMTA Bylaws describe tournaments as “invitational,” “regional” and “postseason.”

Also, if you view power-protected results as problematic, you could compile a ranking of teams based on records (/CS/OCS/PD) in unprotected rounds. Results which include eight (or sixteen) ballots could be scaled down to a six-ballot (or twelve-ballot) scenario, for instance.
              Last edited by Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser; March 26th, 2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Any one wanna put together some nationals team breakdowns? Individual performances you've seen or heard about?
                Predictions?
                I think we'd love you forever

Comment

I certainly ain mad, but I would like to point out that OSU restacked between regionals and ORCs and I'm sure at least a few other teams did as well, so that factors in somewhat and means that records from regionals and ORCs are for completely different teams. That said,

#started

Comment

Love the enthusiasm, and I wish your team well next weekend. The fact that OSU B went from 3-5 at regionals to 6-2 at Hamilton shows that the restacking definitely worked. Plus they'll have the underdog effect, which apparently has become strong enough to have already developed a hashtag.

Comment

Haha oh my god, thanks. I really appreciate you taking the time to put all of this together, and I'm definitely not trying to defend our less than stellar regionals showing, just explaining how that record could possibly get us to the NCT.

Comment

Working...
                      X