Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any update on coach selections?

Comment

With the first round exactly one month away, I am excited to announce the full list of competitors and coaches. The coaches are extremely accomplished: All 16 have competed or coached at AMTA’s National Championship Tournament, and collectively they have won seven national championships and six All-American Awards.

Deisy Abarca-Espiritu will represent the University of Rochester and be coached by teammate Zachary Marshall-Carter.

Elizabeth Bays will represent Yale University and be coached by her father, Timothy Bays.

Christopher Grant will represent Northwood University and be coached by the team’s head coach, DeLois Leapheart.

Kaitlyn Harper will represent Northern Illinois University with the assistance of her coach, Dr. Mitchell Pickerill.

Stephen Johnson will represent the University of Cincinnati with the assistance of his coach, Josh Leckrone.

Mike Kleynman will represent Rutgers University with the help of his coach Michael Roberts.

Danielle Kunkel will represent Miami University with the assistance of her coach Neal Schuett.

Dylan McAuley will represent the University of Richmond and be coached by former teammate Jabari Lucas.

Nicolas Ramos will represent New York University with the help of his coach, Amanda Tuminelli.

Eric Roytman will represent The Ohio State University and be coached by program alum Megan Keenan.

Jack Seigenthaler will represent Stanford University with assistance from his coach, Thom Scher.

Rachel Sommers will represent Columbia University and be coached by former teammate Nick Zurawski.

Zeke Starr will represent the University of Tennessee – Chattanooga with assistance from coach Erika Hyde.

Sarah Stebbins will represent Georgia Tech University with the help of her coach, Will Warihay.

Enrico Trevisani will represent the University of Arizona and be coached by former teammate Nicholas Beachy.

Deniz Tunceli will represent the University of Virginia with help from his coach, Ryan Leonard.
      Last edited by Justin B.; May 23rd, 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Justin B. Do you know if any of the previous gladiator cases are available online? I'm interested in seeing what they look like!

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
          Justin B. Do you know if any of the previous gladiator cases are available online? I'm interested in seeing what they look like!
          Thanks for the question. They are usually only available to Gladiators (and their coaches), but I may make one available before Trial by Combat if the college competitors want to see the style of my 1-on-1 cases.

Comment

I have added the 2017 Gladiator case to the Google Drive file linked above. This should provide a sense of how I write one-on-one cases, even if this is simpler/shorter than the Trial by Combat case.

Comment

On Friday, June 22, the 16 competitors receive the case in the morning. I will post the case here so anyone can read it. They have 24 hours to prepare.

On Sunday, June 24, we plan to livestream the awards ceremony and the final round. Information about where to access the livestream is below. This is our first time doing a livestream in the our new building, so as a backup, we are recording the final round. We can make the recording available if something goes wrong.

To access the livestream, go to the Trial by Combat page on the Drexel website, and click the livestream link. I expect the awards ceremony to start around 11:30-11:45, and I aim to start the final round by 12:30.

UPDATE: The case is live. Here is the synopsis:

In 1998, Ellen Woodward was prosecuted for the murder of her husband. The trial resulted in a hung jury. Twenty years later, new evidence was discovered, and the Government decided to re-try Ellen Woodward for murder. Trial begins June 23, 2018.
              Last edited by Justin B.; June 22nd, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Justin B. are the matchups publicly available to view as they are assigned?
                Last edited by shefram; June 23rd, 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Shadow you were so right!!!! this is THE final round to watch

Comment

Thank you to everyone who helped make this a memorable event! Melissa Schuett traveled from Ohio to run our tabroom. Sue and Franford Johnson came from North Carolina to coordinate judge assignments and photograph the trials. Lawyers and AMTA alums came from all over the country to score the trials (we averaged 6.1 ballots per trial). Our amazing staff at Drexel did everything behind the scenes to pull the tournament together. Our nine final round judges came from four different states and Washington, DC. And our final round witnesses did a great job: Alisa DiPietro from Drexel and Top Gun winners Phil Pasquarello and Ben Wallace.

Most of all, thank you to the 16 competitors and 16 coaches who made this tournament possible. You were spectacular. You not only survived the 24 hour preparation, but you were outstanding in trial. Thank you for coming to the inaugural Trial by Combat.

Congratulations to Nick Ramos on the victory and to Rachel Sommers on reaching the final round. Congrats as well to their coaches, Amanda Tuminelli and Nick Zurawski. A tab summary is in the Google Drive folder for the tournament.

Soon, I will survey the competitors and start thinking about next year: what we can do better, how we will handle applications, and diabolical challenges I can add.

Here is a link to the video from the final round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmlTqS48qB4
                    Last edited by Justin B.; June 25th, 2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Since there was no betting pool, can I also get a sword for predicting the Ramos v Sommers final round before the entire field was even set?

Comment

Is the link to the tab summary working for anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Thomas View Post
                          Is the link to the tab summary working for anyone?
                          I'm not sure why the PDF isn't working. But I've added the tab summary to the Google Drive folder that houses all other Trial by Combat information.

Comment

how did the other competitors fare?

Comment

can we get full tab results? beyond the top 5?

Comment

A few notes about the tournament:
                                • We have some great photos from the tournament. Once they are all compiled from the various photographers, I will share a link.
                                • For at least this year, I do not intend to provide information for placement after 5th.
                                • The case balance for attorneys was P 49% v. D 51% (on average, 3.4 check marks to 3.6).
                                • For witnesses, it was P 43% v. D 57% (1.3 check marks to 1.7).
                                • Competition was tight: no one won more than 75% of available check marks, and no one won fewer than 25%. The difference between 2nd and 12th, for example, was about one check mark per ballot.
                                • I have already begun to receive inquiries about Trial by Combat 2019 (which I appreciate!). We are surveying this year's coaches and competitors -- we want their thoughts on what we did well and what we can do better. Once we iron out a few details -- as well as finalize the location and date -- I will make the application available. I hope to do that in September.
                                Thanks for all of the questions and interest in the tournament!

Comment

Working...
                                X