Trial by Combat 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin B. View Post
    For at least this year, I do not intend to provide information for placement after 5th.
    Why?

Comment

I imagine it has to do with not exposing the competitors who finished in the last couple places to public ridicule - like the kind that occasionally happened when the field first came out. Since this is an individual tournament instead of a team one, that kind of criticism gets much more personal and hurtful. Each competitor knows their individual placement tho

Comment

Originally posted by PMiddle View Post
        I imagine it has to do with not exposing the competitors who finished in the last couple places to public ridicule - like the kind that occasionally happened when the field first came out. Since this is an individual tournament instead of a team one, that kind of criticism gets much more personal and hurtful. Each competitor knows their individual placement tho
        i mean, it's a competition, so someone's gotta finish last, but judging by the strength of the field, chances are anyone making fun of the last-place finisher would get destroyed by them

Comment

Probably yes, but social media (and perjuries specifically) provides a forum for people to ruthlessly and anonymously make fun of competitors and volunteer coaches who didn't perform well against the very best in the country. It's personal, not helpful, and not fun to be on the receiving end of that.

Comment

Competition was tight: no one won more than 75% of available check marks, and no one won fewer than 25%. The difference between 2nd and 12th, for example, was about one check mark per ballot.
            In a field that competitive, with final rankings that were apparently quite close, it seems silly to not release complete results. It's true that Mock Trial is generally a team activity, but loads of other public speaking competitions (and competitive activities more broadly) attach an individual's name to results, even at the national level. Everyone who competed at TbC presumably would have expected a tab summary with their performance to be released, and they likely understood that there was a risk of not doing well -- although in the above quote from Bernstein, it sounds like everyone did do well!

I'm surprised by this decision and wonder if there's a better explanation than not wanting to hurt the feelings of individuals who were already selected as the sixteen best competitors in AMTA. I, for one, was looking forward to seeing who won and lost the different head-to-head match ups that occurred throughout the weekend.

Comment

Justin B. You were right to say this at the 2017 Gladiator -- Mock Trial does need more transparency. After all, as mickey_keenan said, it's incredibly common for other individual public speaking competitions to release full tab results for tournaments.

Comment

I appreciate the comments and suggestions for Trial by Combat -- both from this forum and from the survey answers of the 16 competitors and coaches. In late August or early September, I intend to compile all of those comments/questions/suggestions, along with my responses and changes for Trial by Combat 2019. In the mean time, you can continue to send me your thoughts by posting here, by PM, or by email (bernstein AT law.ucla.edu).

Comment

Working...
                X