Hardest ORCS (first weekend)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest ORCS (first weekend)?

There is a lot of debate about which ORCS is the hardest, so I am trying to create a point-based system to rank each ORCS based on team criteria like the percent of the field that went to Nationals in the previous few years, percent of the teams that got into the ORCS on an open bid, how many teams had a certain CS or PD, how many of the Mock MVPs (based on MockAnalysisIsMyDrug's list) are in the tournament, etc.
    I haven't finished that system, but I have finished the spreadsheets for the fields for the first weekend of ORCS and how each team earned their bid (open bids are in italics). For now, here is a poll for which one you think is the hardest of the first week (sorry if that's already been posted!).
    PS - I will update this with the week two ORCS sometime next week, and the rankings/point system sometime this week
    Attached Files
    Cedar Rapids
    4.88%
    Central Islip
    24.39%
    Geneva
    46.34%
    Santa Monica
    24.39%

Voting for Santa Monica. Cedar Rapids and Geneva (same follows for what Chestnut Hill does to Central Islip) dilute what is generally a pretty unbalanced region, creating clear paths to bids for the top three teams at them, and leaving the remaining middle pack of roughly 5 teams to fight for the last two. West Coast ORCS, as always, has pretty even team/program quality, so aside from a few rounds, there will be no lucky misses, and a lot of teams that finish at 5-3 are going to be disappointed.
    Last edited by dcphlmock; March 5th, 2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I agree - I think Santa Monica is the hardest ORCS period, so certainly is the hardest for the first weekend. There are too many good "bubble" teams (Cal B, UCSB, UCSD, USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington) that I could see each making a strong ORCS and NCT run. That makes Santa Monica, now with only 5 bids, an absolute bloodbath.

Comment

Any updates from Geneva or Cedar Rapids going into Round 4? Which teams are still in contention? Any surprise outs?

Comment

Working...
        X